rss
twitter

TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE

It has been quite a long time since I jot down something in my blog. Exam is really killing me!!! Arghh.. I lost my words.. MY "ENGLISH PROFICIENCY" is at its worst STATE.. Okay, lets just ignore my grammar and vocab misused.

Back to my main agenda here.. I wanna share about one book that I've read last January. The books entitled "Tuesday with Morrie". One of my friend suggested the book for my "HOLIDAY READING". It is one of the best inspirational book that i ever read (besides dale Carnegie's and Steven Covey's book). I bet many people have read it and pick some precious values that be presented in the book. Actually, I planned to write the summary myself. but since i am a bit lazy and busy(how could i be LAZY&BUSY at the same time?? he3..), i just copy and paste the summary of the book here.


























Tuesdays with Morrie is a true story about sportswriter Mitch Albom and his favorite college professor Morrie Schwartz. During Albom's undergraduate years at Brandeis University, when he takes every class taught by his mentor, he and Schwartz form a bond that goes beyond the typical student/teacher relationship.

After graduation, Albom promises to stay in touch with his professor and moves to New York City with the intention of pursuing a career as a professional musician. He spends several frustrating years working odd jobs and wondering what he is doing wrong. He loses touch with all of his college friends and with Schwartz. His musical dreams are dying a frustrating death, and he feels like a failure for the first time in his life.

Around that time, a favorite uncle passes away from cancer at the age of forty-four. This frightens Albom into action. He returns to school and earns graduate degrees in journalism and business administration from Columbia University in New York. Albom accepts a job as a sports writer and begins working long, grueling hours, determined not to end up at a corporate job he hates like his uncle did. He bounces around the country working for different newspapers and magazines before finally settling at The Detroit Free Press, where his career really begins to take off.

As Albom's career grows, so do his income and his material possessions. The more he gets, the more he wants and the harder he works. During this time, he also gets married. His wife wants to start a family, and he promises her "someday." One evening while flipping channels on the television, Albom catches the introduction to Nightline and hears the name Morrie Schwartz. His long-forgotten favorite professor is the subject of a Ted Koppel interview. Albom watches in shock as he learns Schwartz is dying of ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Shortly after learning the diagnosis, Schwartz makes an important decision. He isn't going to hide behind his illness. He isn't going to be ashamed or afraid of dying. He's been a teacher all his life and decides he'll teach one final class, teaching his students how to die. That's where Schwartz's old student and friend Mitch Albom comes in. After seeing the Nightline interview, Albom visits Schwartz and makes another promise to keep in touch.

A few weeks later, Albom's newspaper goes on strike, and he is out of a job. Left with too much time on his hands and too many unsettling thoughts in his head, he returns to Massachusetts to see Schwartz. In fact, he returns to Massachusetts every Tuesday until the end of Schwartz's life.

After a couple of visits, Albom begins recording their talks, with Schwartz's permission and his encouragement. He wants to share this journey with the world and knows that Albom can help him reach beyond the walls to which his disease has confined him. For the next fourteen weeks, Schwartz and Albom discuss everything from regrets and death to money and marriage, from family to forgiveness. Their conversations and the insights they give into the way Schwartz has lived his life and accepts his death become the foundation around which Tuesdays with Morrie is written.

Okay... That's the main idea of that book.. Two of the quotes that catched my attentions were :

"Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them too even when you're in the dark. Even when you're falling."

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

I feel like reading it over and over again..but pity me, i left it in Malaysia. Maybe if I have time and efforts(which is hard), I'll write the summary for each chapter, and the impacts the book has on me and it can be my "HOLIDAY PROJECT"...

As for now, i have to stop..

-WMastura WMusaludin-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your helpful summery!I was trying to find a good summery 4 this book to make a presentation in front of my class and finally I have so thanks you so much and I hope you keep sharing as long as you can...

Anonymous said...

Oh it's me again the anonymous that complimented about your great summery.I just wanted to tell you that your really should read this book.You'll be warmed by it's after glow because it's so great..The book is "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho...

Mellow said...

hi Anonymous: i will try to buy the alchemist book..thanks for recommending the book for my read. Maybe I could try to read before i starts to work :)

Post a Comment